It looks like Victor Martinez is on his way to Detroit. To wit:
“Reports out of Venezuela indicate that Martinez has come to terms on a four-year, $12.5 million deal with the Detroit Tigers, who coveted Martinez as a middle-of-the-order complement to young catcher Alex Avila as well as a DH/first-base alternative to Miguel Cabrera.”
Here are the positives of this:
- I never have to hear the ridiculous nickname “V-Mart” again.
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia gets a chance to be the everyday catcher
- There’s money freed up for … I don’t know, someone.
- Maybe Jason Varitek comes back?
And the negatives:
- The Red Sox just lost a very good dude who could catch, play first base and hit with the best of them, over money they could afford.
Such is life. Good luck in Detroit, Victor. It was a great year and a half.